Project by Jeremy Fryer-Biggs
We have always liked a graphic aesthetic - the look of a simple image with a threshold filter - and have been hankering to try our hand at sticker making with the microfactory. This project marries the two, demonstrating the basic process we used to create a pretty awesome decal.
to cut the vinyl you will need a spring-loaded drag knife bit
We started with a photograph
in Photoshop we used the "threshold" feature to simplify it into black and white
then we imported the file into a CAD program and exported it in .dxf format
we used a CAM program to generate our g-code
before we cut, we mounted a 0.25in thick piece of polypropylene to the microfactory's table. Polypropylene is the material found in many commercial cutting boards and is favored because it is soft (thereby not dulling the blade), slippery enough for the blade to slide (so that it doesn't get stuck) and relatively inexpensive.
the vinyl was attached to the polypropylene using strips of painter's tape along the edges, and the program was loaded on the microfactory
the sticker was cut
then we peeled it off and affixed it to a piece of black archival paper
and voila, a finished sticker!
mebotics © 2012, all rights reserved.